Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Making Pickled Carrots and Onions

Pickled Carrots and Onions


     Ben and I took a trip to the Veggie Wagon today a few minutes from the house where we picked up some local organic carrots, a butternut squash, and some garbanzo bean flour.  I tried pickled carrots for the first time while working as a nanny in the fall and really liked their sweet and sour taste.  So with some very inexpensive carrots from the Veggie Wagon I am going to try my hand at pickling them.  I picked the skinniest carrots in the basket but I think I will still cut them down a bit.  This is the before of the carrots:

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon salt
Enough water to cover carrots when placed in a saucepan

1 pound carrots (cut long ways into quarters)
1 small onion (sliced thin into slithers)
1 1/4 cup water
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
2 garlic cloves (roughly chopped)
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of pepper
Few squeezes of lemon juice

Directions:

-Wash carrots and cut ends off.  Cut long ways into quarters.
-Slice onion into thin slithers, set in heatproof container.
-Boil water in a saucepan with the tablespoon of salt.
-Once it is boiling, place carrots in the pan for approximately one minute.
-Take out and strain under cold water and place in container with the onions.
Waiting on the liquid to be added.


-Pour the remaining ingredients into the empty saucepan and bring to a boil.
-Let simmer for two minutes uncovered.
-Pour over carrots and onions.
Boiling the rest of the ingredients.

-Let cool uncovered, then store in the refrigerator.
-Let sit covered in fridge for at least one day before serving cold.
Cooling with the liquid added.

I used a standard recipe for pickled carrots and replaced a few things like the dill and I added a few things like the onions and lemon juice.  I will update with how it turned out after it has been in the fridge for a day! Hopefully they taste as delicious as they look and smell!

Update! These taste as yummy as they look and will keep for a very long time! I am going to try the same recipe and use shrimp instead of carrots next time, can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment