Monday, November 18, 2013

Sorority Banner Painting





Like this post? Leave a comment to enter to win a Jar Candle Favor, click for details!
Sorority Banner Painting

 



 Since this summer, I have had the opportunity to make three bed sheet size banners for my lovely Chi Omega sisters. 
 
 
This summer, Sister Somers (soon to be Sister Ryals), came and stayed with us for the weekend to work on banners for Fall Sorority Recruitment.  She had the theme and color scheme and I came up with the vision.  For the first banner, she wanted the saying "Pretty In Pink, Perfect In Pearls, Everyone's Wild About Chi O Girls" and everything in pink, black, white, and silver.  We laid down a drop clothe, got our supplies ready, and went to work.  I found that using a colored pencil worked great on the cotton fabric because if you made a mistake, a good scrubbing with a dry wash cloth got it to come off.  The pink paint took two solid coats. The white paint mixed with a little silver for the pearls only took one coat. We also outlined the pearls in silver sparkle puff paint.
 

For the glitter Chi Omega letters, we painted a silver coat first then glue on top, then dumped silver glitter.  We shook the glitter off before finishing the girls part at the end.  The banner turned out great, and matched the girls outfits too.
 

For the second banner, we made a Make A Wish logo with a glitter star for the Philanthropy Round of recruitment.  I pulled up an image of the logo, measured each letter carefully, and drew it out in colored pencil.  The white acrylic paint on the blue twin sheet folded in half required two coats.  For the star and swoop, I used gold paint and gold puff paint for the star part.



 
This banner looked great and helped share the joy of Make A Wish with potential new members during recruitment. Photo of the finished banner to come!
 
The third banner I made was for the WU Homecoming tailgate.  I found the sheet for $2.99 at Goodwill and bought white and yellow paint.  The chevron border required two to three coats of paint in some spots.  The white only took one coat of paint.  I did this one like the other by starting out with colored pencil and measuring the letters.  The glitter on this banner was done with a glittery acrylic paint instead of loose glitter.  The banner looked great at the alumnae tailgate for Chi Omega.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment