buttons

Monday, March 16, 2015

Bridesmaid Dress Giraffe







Bridesmaid Dress Giraffe


My friend just had her first baby in December, its a boy! He is so precious and I love seeing pics of him each week! I knew I wanted to make something with her bridesmaid dress and it worked out that it was blue and she was having a boy.  The dress was a royal blue number from David's Bridal with the satin material.  It was right above the knee but still plenty of fabric to work with. 

I saw an example of some giraffes I really like on Pinterest but had a hard time finding a pattern so I had to wing it.  I took the dress with me to the fabric store to find a fabric that I thought would look good with it.  I found this awesome batiked fabric at Hancock fabric to use that looked very giraffe like. 

Her whole nursery is safari jungle themed so the giraffe fits in perfect.  I made my pattern by drawing it out on big pieces of newspaper and laying them out together.  I left a half inch seam allowance on all the pieces.  The blue would be the accent pieces and the colorful fabric would be the body and legs.


Once I made the pattern from the newspaper, I pinned it to the pieces I wanted in which colors. For the legs, I needed to do two tone, so I measured where I wanted the leg split and cut.  I cut out all the parts and laid them out with the sides I wanted showing facing each other.  I sewed all of the parts leaving a section open, like you would with a pillow.  After stitching each one, I turned it right side out.


At that point, I stuffed each piece with cotton stuffing. For the legs, I actually made little pouches with rice in them.  This was to make sure the legs stayed up and kept the giraffe from falling forward.  I stuffed the legs with the cotton then slid the rice pillows into the bottom.  After all the parts were stitched up, I sewed them together.  I used a thicker thread to keep the legs on.  When it was all finished, it has to be messed with a little bit to get it to stand up right, but it turned out super cute.  My friend loved it, and I think it made a fun addition to her nursery. The fact that it has her wedding dress in it just makes it that much more special. If I can find the pieces, I will try to post a stencil for you guys to use! My bridesmaid dresses were pink, if you have any ideas for what we can do for Lilly's nursery with the fabric, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. The dress was a royal blue number from David's Bridal with the satin material. It was right above the knee but still plenty of fabric to work with. plus size cute clothes

    ReplyDelete

Eclipse and Space Themed Sensory Bottle

Eclipse Sensory Bottle      Today was the big event everyone has been waiting for! The total solar eclipse 2017! We live in Charle...