Saturday, May 9, 2015

Tiered Plate Stand DIY


Tiered Plate Stand DIY


This is a project I have been working on for a week or two now and must say was much harder than it looks in the pictures on Pinterest.  I wouldn't classify it as a total pinfail, but it was for sure much trickier than I thought it would be.  I wanted to make tiered stands for the baby shower we are having in May for Lilly and I.  I want to set out all the notions to make the headbands at the DIY headband station on these so I did them in the colors of the shower and the nursery. 

I started out with four candlesticks and six plates that I got at the thrift store for $7.50 total.  The candlesticks were a bronze gold color but the sets weren't the same color.  The plates were off white with a gold rim and floral pattern in the middle.  The first step was to get the price tag and packing tape residue off the plates where it stuck after I pulled them off. To do this, I used nail polish remover. 
After, I got everything cleaned up, I set down brown paper we had from a package and laid all the plates and candlesticks on it.  The paint is Krylon Spray Paint I picked out at Michaels, I asked the employee at Michaels and she confirmed it would work on porcelain and bronze.  She also pointed out with their spray paint you did not need a primer of any kind.  

After they were all laid out, I sprayed the plates pink and the candlesticks gold.  It took letting it dry and coming back to do several coats before it was at the point I wanted it to be.  



After letting the spray paint dry, Ben helped me put the plates and candlesticks together.  I used E6000 glue to hold them together. I must say, the glue did not like the gold paint.  With this glue, as per the instructions, you are supposed to put it on then let each side you are gluing sit for a minute or two before putting them together.  We did this and waited for it to set.  Measuring the plates proved a little tricky. Apparently not all plates are made evenly, and after hearing another report of this from a friend is why I deemed this project harder than it looks.  The plates are not level on the bottom which makes the stands look crooked when you start to put them together.  Of course once you have a bunch of stuff stacked on them, it isn't as noticeable but it still stressed me out a bit.  We let the glued together stands dry for a day or two before trying to move them.  Even at this point we had one come apart and had to repair it.


Now that they are finished and filled with items for the headband station at the shower, I think they look really good.  I would caution anyone attempting this project to have patience and not get frustrated when its not working out, its not your fault!  Have you attempted to make any of these stands? I would love to hear about and see your results!



No comments:

Post a Comment